Municipality History

Brokenhead History By Edna J. Kozyra (from They Stopped at a Good Place)

The Rural Municipality of Brokenhead was created by an Order-in-Council to which assent was given on July 5, 1900. Proclamation was issued November 3, 1900 and the effective date was November 15,1900 (Cap.36, Man.Statutes, 1900.). The "new" Municipality was formed by reducing the areas of the R. M. of Springfield and the R. M. of St. Clements.

The first Reeve of the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead, upon its formation, was F. McCowan, and the new Municipality was administered by the St. Clements secretary-treasurer, W.R.Young. The first councillors were: J. Reed (St.Ouens), A. H. Boyd (Cromwell), W. Bachman (Beausejour), and E. Jones (Tyndall).

The first Assessor of the municipality was W. Trouton of Beausejour. Council meetings were held at the call of the Reeve, and sometimes began as early as seven o'clock in the morning. In 1902, E. A. Dugard, formerly a Councillor at St. Clements, was elected Reeve of the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead, and the Councillors were: J. Reed (St. Quens), C. W. Boyd (Cromwell), J. Keilback (Beausejour), and J. Little (Tyndall).

J. H. Cornish was appointed secretarytreasurer in 1903, and C. A. Madden was elected Reeve. The administration moved into its first Municipal Hall located on the main street in Beausejour. William Bethel was the assessor.

 PDF of PAST Councils



1912 Office of R.M. of Brokenhead
Left to right: M.J. Hoban (Secretary), rD. Crawford (lawyer),
T.J. Deakin (Town Constable), D. McDougall (bookkeper).