Local Histories

Searching through the local history books and the internet, there are many stories that can be told.
One is how Brokenhead came to be named.

The Brokenhead starts in a wetland in the Sandilands Provincial Forest and drains 200 kilometres later into Lake Winnipeg, although only about 120 kilometres are navigable by canoe or kayak.

Alexander Henry Jr. dubbed it Catfish River in 1800, the earliest recorded account, and David Thompson put it on a map in 1814. There are two theories about how it got its current moniker. One is it was named after a brutal slaughter by the Sioux of unarmed Cree. The second theory is that a mystic white buffalo rose from the waters and was shot with an arrow by an aboriginal warrior, splitting its head open.

by: Bill Redekop, Winnipeg Free Press, 06/29/13

Another explaination is that the river has two "heads" including Hazel Creek.
These are some of the stories we are working on:
  • The History of the Beausejour Sandpit
  • Local Moonshine 
  • Tourist Camps
  • Undertakers and Funeral Homes
  • 4H Clubs