1. When do I need a permit?
A permit is required for any building or accessory building/structure over 108 sq. ft. Buildings that are 600 sq. meters (6459.35 sq. ft) or larger, will be required to go through that Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) for all building permits and inspections. A development permit is required from our office prior to applying with the OFC. We must also provide "Municipal Authorization" on the OFC permit application. Please contact our office for further information.

2. Why do I need a permit?
The permit approval and inspection process is intended to ensure that your project meets all necessary codes and regulations, in order to promote the health, safety and well-being of current and future occupants. As a homeowner, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary permit(s). A permit must be obtained before the project gets started, whether or not you choose to have a contractor take out a permit on your behalf. Obtaining a permit means that the work will be inspected by our experienced, professional Inspector to ensure that required standards are met (Manitoba Building Code, applicable zoning regulations, and Building By-law requirements). Work that is done without a permit may not meet the minimum code requirements and could result in substandard construction that may not be structurally adequate. This could lead to costly repairs in the future to correct the problem or even a complete failure of the construction. Work that cannot be made to comply will require removal. The cost of a permit "after the fact” will be doubled and legal action may be initiated to ensure compliance.

3. Where can I find the cost of my permit?
Please refer to the fee schedule

4. Do I need to supply paper blueprints with my building permit?
Yes, we require one hard copy and one electronic PDF for our records.

5. Do I need a permit to build a deck?
Yes, if your deck is larger than 50 sq. ft and above 2 feet above ground level, you will require a permit. Approved deck placement varies per Zone in the Town of Beausejour and the RM of Brokenhead as per the Zoning By-Laws, so please contact our office before proceeding.

6. What documents are required with a permit application?
All required documents can be found here.

7.  Where can I build my fence?
Fences on residential properties can be erected UP TO your property line. If you are not sure where your property lines are, we highly suggest obtaining a legal survey of your property first. All residential fences in a front yard can be no higher than 3.5 ft and in a side or rear yard, no higher than 6 feet. These measurements are subject to change on certain properties so please contact our office.

8. Do I require a permit if I'm doing renovations inside my home?
As the building owner, you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements. A permit is required for basement development or any interior renovation for a home if the work proposed includes any of the following or is over $5000:

-Developing a previously unfinished basement into a family room, rec room etc.
-Structural or material alterations.
-Excavating and/or constructing foundations.
-Basement underpinning.

9. I'm ready for an inspection...what do I do?
Building inspection requests must be submitted a minimum of 24 hours in advance. There are two ways to request a building inspection:

-Call our office during regular business hours at 204-268-6705
-Submit your request via email at buildinginspector@brpd.ca
All work must be ready to be inspected at the time of the request