Pools & Hot Tubs

Residents locating a pool on their property within the Brokenhead River Planning District are required to obtain a permit. Details of the location of the pool, fencing and security (ie: gates and latching devices) must be identified.

Whether the hot tub, pool or pond is temporary or permanent, in-ground or above ground, if it can hold more than two (2) feet deep of water, a pool permit is required.

Outdoor pools must be enclosed with a fence or other suitable barrier constructed in accordance with Section 10.1.2 of the Manitoba Building Code (Regulation 127/2006). (Minimum 5 ft. high barrier with all openings to be self-closing and lockable) Fences must be completely enclosed by a vertical board fence, with no vertical or horizontal supports that would facilitate climbing, or a chain link fence not less than No. 12 gauge galvanized steel wire, constructed or erected in accordance with the following:

  • Fences shall have a minimum height of 5.0 feet (1.52m), including gates.
  • There shall be no openings other than an entry to a building or a gate and it shall be constructed so as to prevent a child from crawling under either the fence or gate.
  • Gates must be self-closing and equipped with a lockable latch.
A fence is not required for a hot-tub, as long as the hot-tub is equipped with a lockable cover, as per Section of the Manitoba Building Code  


  1. Application Form
  2. Site Plan
  3. Plans for Pool (engineered stamped plans required for inground pool)
  4. Plans for fence to enclose Pool (if required)
  5. Letter of Authorization (Required if someone is filling out the application on behalf of the owner)

Don't forget to click before you dig!